Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Can I just say?....

I just wanted to point out the difficulty in recommending something to any of my siblings, or recieving a recommendation from them for that matter. I don't know if it was me who did this to all of us, but someone did, possibly someone named Rob. Anyway, back to where we should be: If I tell one of my siblings that I like a movie, that statement predisposes them to not liking it, or possibly not even seeing it. They may even become adamantly against the movie. This creates at least two distinct problems: 1. We all miss out on movies/CDs/books/media we might enjoy simply because it was recommended us. 2. We feel wary of recommending something to someone because we know they won't want to see it after we've recommended it.

I can't imagine writing down all of the possible reasons for this behavior, but let me just say that it is ridiculous. It really just doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't we whose opinions, and tendencies are most similiar be able to recommend something without reverse opinionation?

This has nothing to do with anything specific, it just came to mind, and I do it to.

1 comment:

Jules said...

You have to take into account that sometimes people didn't want to see a movie even before you recommended it. Maybe you just need to feel disregarded?

And I believe the word you're looking for is "Merovingian," which, basically, means "French[man]."